How To Install Conventional Style Canvas Top Fittings
HANDY HANKS’ TIPS: Aluminum tubing with Chrome Zamak or Nylon fittings are used for fresh water applications only.
Always use Chrome Zamak fittings with Aluminum Tubing only. Stainless steel tubing with stainless steel fittings can be used for both fresh water and salt water applications. Stainless steel fittings used with aluminum tubing will cause corrosion. You should never use this combination.
.049 inch wall stainless steel tube is generally used for non-structural applications, while .065 inch wall is generally used for heavier loads and bending. Save the old fittings tube until you’ve completed your project. You may need to refer back to them.
Tools & Supplies Needed
- Screwdriver or Reversible drill
- Allen wrench
- Spray lubricant
- Hacksaw (for cutting aluminum tube)
- Band Saw with S.S. blade or cut-off wheel
- Metal file
Taco Marinereplacement tube sections
- Silicone sealant or 3M 5200
- Replacement fittings
- Stainless steel screws
- Remove your Bimini Top from your boat
- Remove the damaged fittings tube sections using a screwdriver or drill, allen wrench spray lubricant
- Measure the fittings tube you removed and refer to the product selection item on this page to help determine which part is best for your replacement
- Clean the gel coat and fill all holes with silicone sealant or 3M 5200
- Measure the old tubing. Cut the lengths of tubing you need, removing any burrs with a metal file.
- If you are replacing stainless steel tube with a bend in it, we recommend you take the old piece and the new tubing to a local Marine Bimini Top Professional, Electrician or Plumber. They have the bending equipment to make the right bend for you.
- Secure any fittings to be attached to the deck using stainless steel screws and a screwdriver or drill
- Attach all slide-on fittings onto the tube and secure the set screws provided. You may need to refer back to the set screw punctures on the old tube to determine where the new fittings should be located, especially if the tube is new.
- Attach all remaining end fittings and secure them with the set screws provided
- Re-install your canvas top