There are three types of inserts. As indicated below, the first two must be heated in order
to be installed. Install inserts beginning either at an end cap or at the transom.
HANDY HANKS’ TIP:
To avoid insert shrinkage, always screw down each end of flexible insert.
The screws will be hidden from view once you install the end caps.
V12-0810, V12-0003, V12-0005
1. Using a heat gun, heat approx. 3’ of insert until it compresses with a pinch.
2. Flatten the insert between your fingers and insert it into the rub rail until the heated
section has been installed.
3. Repeat in maximum 3’ increments until the entire insert has been installed.
1. Using a heat gun, heat approx. 2’ of insert until it is hot to the touch.
2. Insert a few inches of the top leg into the rub rail.
3. Using a stiff putty knife, poke the bottom leg into the channel.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until the heated section has been installed.
5. Heat the next 2’ and repeat steps 2 through 4 until the entire insert has been installed.
SOFT FLEXIBLE INSERTS
V12-0317, V12-0334, V12-0338, V12-0342, V12-0347, V12-0426, V12-1069, V12-2207,
V12-4018, V12-4144 & V12-5818
1. These inserts can be installed at room temperature.
2. Squeeze the insert between your fingers and insert it into the channel of the rub rail
until the entire insert has been installed.
3. Tapping it with a rubber mallet will help set the insert. Inserts V12-0317 & V12-0334
need to be set by tapping it with a rubber mallet.
INSTALLING END CAPS
There are two types of end caps:
1. In line end caps are installed on the same surface
as the rub rail.
2. Corner end caps are used when a rub rail ends
at the transom. Corner end caps are installed on
the transom with the cap extending out the side to
cap the rub rail.